Contributors

1 November - First chemotherapy cycle over

I survived the first session of intensive chemotherapy - five days at twice the earlier dose - without experiencing any particularly bad side effects. Apart from one. I have the worst constipation I have ever had in my life!

Constipation is one of the more common side effects of temozolmide. We had been given laxative tablets to counteract this during the radiotherapy/chemotherapy but I stopped taking them as I didn't appear to need them. It seems that I do now!

Olga went to the pharmacy to try to get some industrial strength laxatives and came back with something called Movicol. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Now I will have 23 days of "rest" (no chemotherapy) before starting the next cycle.

4 comments:

  1. Plenty of prunes needed? :-) This is the "shock the tumour" approach I assume. All the best for this next cycle Julian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best. Really good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julian, I need to take MOVICOL since I lost 30cm of large intestine to the surgeons knife, you will need to take it with lots of water otherwise it wil have the opposite effect, the water should also be luke warm for the best results, I have followed your blog from the beginning your courage and spirit are a inspiration for us all.
    All the best wishes for you and Olga.
    Colin DD5CF/G1ZOS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of water, every day. Even without medication is helpful. At least a liter, maybe two! Also cleans out your system.

    GL Dick

    ReplyDelete