Contributors

22 November - Vertigo

I'm nearly at the end of the first chemotherapy cycle. It has been about 3 weeks since I had temozolomide. The unpleasant taste and chalky mouth have almost gone. The hand tremor and feeling dizzy and light headed remain, though. My hands shake enough to make using tools almost impossible but not so much that I can't lift a mug of tea without spilling it. The tablets prescribed by the GP to stop the shaking made no difference whatsoever.

This afternoon I walked into town with Olga and we went into a showroom to look at something. The showroom had some short but steep stairs between levels and no hand rail. Olga had gone on ahead. I just had the walking stick. I went up one stair and felt vertigo, like I was losing my balance. I really thought I might fall down. I called Olga and she took my free hand and we negotiated the stairs.

After that I made sure that I always had three points of contact when negotiating stairs. My knees were shaking like crazy. I was also soaked in sweat by the time we left. I've always been rather sweaty but now I need a shower and a change of clothing after any trip out, which is a bit of an inconvenience.

Looks like it might be a while before I'm able to tackle any Wainwright summits. :( But I am very glad that I have such a devoted wife in Olga who doesn't complain about having to be a wet nurse for her increasingly useless husband!

On Friday afternoon we have an appointment with the consultant in Carlisle and a blood test to see whether I am OK to start the second chemo cycle - an even bigger dose of temozolomide. So I have that to look forward to!

6 comments:

  1. Hope beyond hope that all comes to a satisfactory conclusion. I wish I had the courage as you have in your condition to offer some insight into the alternative therapies. I won't of course but I would like to know what if any of the numerous alternatives you have looked into.
    Please do not take this in any other way than as one man wishing all the best to another.

    I wish you well.

    Namaste, rev;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian,

    Glad to hear the latest progress update.

    Despite the shaky hands I see you had a go at Chirpy for 10m.

    Save the Wainwright summits until next summer and concentrate efforts on getting through the next round of chemo OK. All the very best as always.

    73s
    Roger G3XBM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep hanging on there Julian, when your hands calm down a bit it would be nice to work on one of the data modes.

    73 Dave, G4AON

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update and the courage that you show. Our thoughts are with you and Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck julian hope your chemo goes ok, my wife had chemo for her breast cancer and it nearly killed her hope yours doesn`t

    best wishes g1phk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our best wishes are with you both. Keep strong!

    73

    Josh - M0JMO

    ReplyDelete