Contributors

22 April - A slight decrease

Today we went for a consultation with the oncologist - the one I should have had a month ago. After the usual enquiries as to how I was he told us that the last scan showed 'a slight decrease' in the size of what's left of my tumour. This is obviously better than an increase, so it appears we have it under control for the moment.

Because of the type of tumour that it is, it can never all be removed - I can never be cured. When asked whether it could grow back we were told it could, but it is not possible to predict what would happen. The longest anyone has survived a glioblastoma multiforme grade 4 in our oncologist's direct experience is 8 years. It goes without saying that I hope I can beat that.

The doctor thinks I can apply to the DVLA to have my driving licence back. I'm not celebrating until I'm holding it in my sticky mitt.

Our next appointment is for three months' time after which I will have another MRI scan.

9 comments:

  1. Good news Julian. Bet you can't wait to get in the car again and get up into the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian, my wife Lis has also said how pleased she is that your tumour is smaller and that things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear Julian, the tumor is smaller is great news and getting the drivers license back is an added bonus!!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news Julian, sorry I haven't added comments recently, however Jackie and myself do read your blog at least once a week.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding new Julien!! You'll be back up on the Fells in no time!

    73,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your latest blog (22 April) is great and discovering that someone with a similar tumour lasted 8 years is great news. I think we should both try and break some averages.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pleased to hear that it has shrunk Julian. It is encouraging news and we hope you get your license back very soon.

    Rose and Hylton

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are people on some US forums that have been surviving GBMs for 15+ years. Great news that the tumour has not increased in size. What meds are you currently on? Just the clomipramine? Does it make you sleepy at all? I have started taking it slowly (currently at 75mg/day) and I get sudden bouts of fatigue, so I sleep a lot more than I used to.

    Akis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clomipramine is the only medication I'm taking now. I'm taking 200mg a day. I do sleep well, better than I used to, but I am not too fatigued to do things during the day. My main problem is frustration at not being allowed to drive.

    Best of luck, Julian

    ReplyDelete