Contributors

4 December - Off the temozolomide

I've been off the temozolomide for a couple of days now. Still feeling mildly nauseous. Not enough to be in any real danger of throwing up, but enough that I probably would not bother to eat if Olga hadn't gone to the trouble of putting food in front of me.

Fortuitously, I am not due the next batch of poison until just after the Christmas festivities. Hopefully my appetite will be restored by then. I do like my roast turkey and Christmas pudding, not to mention my Camembert and a nice piece of crumbly Cheddar.

I normally also enjoy a glass or three of red wine to go with the aforementioned items so it has been quite a hardship having to avoid alcohol for the last few months. Alcohol is not exactly prohibited, particularly by the chemotherapy, but it is recommended to avoid it if you take clomipramine as it increases the side effects. Unfortunately clomipramine is not one of those drugs you can just stop taking for a few days. You have to change the dose gradually. So I can't just come off it for a Christmas / New Year break.

All being well I will allow myself a trial glass of wine on Christmas Eve to see what happens. If that causes no ill effects then I have two more days to finish the bottle before my next batch of chemotherapy tablets. Because although as I said the warnings about alcohol don't apply to the temozolomide, I think that taking alcohol along with with temo, clomipramine, dexomethazone and all the other tablets would be a bit too much.

3 comments:

  1. With a glass of wine, or without, Julian have a good Christmas with Olga. Along with beating the tumour I hope you'll both think of some enjoyable things to do later in 2012. When your strength is back you know you'd both be welcome for a night or two here near Cambridge. Ours is a small place but we could always talk QRP, visit Kings and walk around The Backs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian, my English is just good enough for my radio blog (I think ;-)) but to react on this kind of serious matter my English is inadequate. But my thoughts are still with you and Olga. That's what I want to say. I hope the nausea will stop, so you can enjoy your Christmas dinner or a small glass of wine. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julian,
    I’ve just read the whole of your blog and am hugely impressed with your honesty and courage. Your blog shows you to be a fighter and a survivor and judging by your followers I am not alone in this thought.
    Have a good Christmas and New Year and I hope that in the not too distant future when you are feeling stronger we may be able to have a chat on the radio; you are an inspiration!
    Enjoy your Christmas lunch & glass of wine.
    73s Dickie M0AUW

    ReplyDelete