Contributors

19 February - Gallstones redux

I'm in quite a lot of pain at the moment. Three or four times in the last few weeks I have had a pain in the small of my back that doesn't quite feel like normal back pain. At times it is quite excruciating and prevents me from sleeping at night. Sometimes painkillers help, sometimes they don't. Usually it wears off after a few hours.

[Too much detail alert] At around the time I have this pain, I notice that my urine is darker than normal. My stools are pale brown in colour instead of the normal dark brown. Today Olga noticed (no secrets from each other in this marriage!) that they were speckled with different sized black dots. [End of too much detail alert]

We think this is because of the gallstones I discovered back in November. A stone could have moved and blocked the bile duct so that bile is not going where it is supposed to. The black spots could be disintegrating gallstones. This is Olga's diagnosis. But a GP hinted that this could be what is happening the last time I saw the doc. At the time they (and me) felt that we should wait and hope that the problem clears up without surgical intervention.

This time has been the worst occurrence. And the pain has moved from the small of my back to my abdomen. Yesterday we made a doctors' appointment but the earliest we could see the GP I like was next Monday. After a disturbed night we decided this was too long to wait, so we have got an appointment with whoever was free this afternoon.

I don't think there is any connection between this and my brain tumour unless the gall bladder problem is a delayed side effect of all the drugs that were poured into me during my cancer treatment. This has certainly caused a lot more pain than the brain tumour did. I don't even feel like playing radio at the moment. Fingers crossed that the doctors can accurately diagnose and treat the problem.