Contributors

3 May 99.9 kg

100kg! Well, to be strictly accurate 99.9kg. That's what the bathroom scales told me my weight was today. I could hardly eat any less and maintain a healthy diet. I'm eating the same things as normal. But my weight seems to be increasing uncontrollably ever since we started reducing the dosage of dexamethasone.

It's rather worrying. I was about 87kg when I came out of hospital. Since then my weight has slowly increased, which everyone has put down to the steroids. I actually hoped that I could start to lose a little weight after reducing the dosage. I thought I would feel a bit more energetic if I didn't have to carry what amounts to a loaded rucksack around with me.

The weight gain is also rather inconvenient, as I can't get into any of my trousers! Before all this started I was a size 40 that could still get into my older size 38 trousers. But now my waistline is a size 46! Most of this increase has occurred over the last few weeks. What can we do to stop it? Our GP didn't have any useful suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. I was the opposite I ballooned from a size 16 to size 22/24 as soon as I went on steroids, but I am slowly coming down to a size 18, I have to eat little and often due to the epilim tablets, but my apetite comes and goes. Can I ask do your legs give way the more the steroids go down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I've noticed any tendency for my legs to give way though I think they are affected by the excess weight and I do find even short walks quite an effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you saw this posting in the Daily Mail Julian, but it looks like another step forward.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2142035/Stem-cells-jab-helps-brain-cancer-patients-tolerate-chemotherapy.html

    ReplyDelete